Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

The Bracelet

The first Sunday of the month again - time for Sian's meme, Storytelling Sunday 3, Pick Your Precious.

This month I've gone back to jewellery again. Not something that is hugely valuable monetary wise, but means a lot to me sentimentally.

On the eve of my marriage to Hugh, his father gave me a silver bracelet.
This bracelet had belonged to Hugh's Great Aunt Louise, a lady I never met, but had heard and have continued to hear, a lot about over the years. What makes this bracelet even more precious is the note which came with it, written by Hugh's father.
It says:
BIRMINGHAM HALLMARK 1901
This bracelet is one of a pair given by Hugh's great-great aunt Jane de St.Paer (1859-1949) to Hugh's great aunt Louise Jane de St Paer (1885-1968) and her sister Gwendoline de St Paer (1888-1976) - Hugh's grandmother.

Great aunt Louise gave her bracelet to Hugh's mother about 1957 and grandmother gave hers to Caroline (Hugh's sister) about 1967.

This bracelet is the one that belonged to Louise Jane de St Paer and comes to Becky with all Mum's love.

I love that I have the note giving its provenance. I love that from the stories I have been told about great aunt Louise that she was the scatty, untidy sister and that the bracelet had to have the dents taken out of it, whereas Gwendoline's was in perfect condition! I love that the note is in my father-in-law's writing - although it says that the bracelet comes from my mother-in-law to me, the family connection is from my father-in-law's side.

So, not only do I have a precious bracelet, which I wear frequently, but I also have some pretty special family history to go with it. I have done a layout before with the two ladies on it, with their father and you can see the post about it here.
I have managed to dig out the photo again so that you can see that in more detail:
Great aunt Louise is the lady on the left of the photo. Unfortunately neither of them are wearing the bracelets! But, here is a photo of me wearing the bracelet on my wedding day.

I hope that you have enjoyed reading about my precious this month. If you would like to read some more stories please hop on over to Sian's blog where you will find many people linking up this month.

20 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a wonderful story of your family heirloom. And it's a beauty of a bracelet.
Rinda

Jo.C said...

Great bracelet and story. TFS

Sian said...

It's stunning! I looked at the picture and thought..ooh, there's a beautiful piece of Edwardian silver and then I read the story and thought..how lucky you are. A lovely thing, a lovely story to go with it. Perfectly precious indeed.

Thanks Becky. This is a great one

Jen said...

What a wonderful story Becky - that is a real precious - and its a beautiful bracelet. You have reminded me of the silver bracelet I wore on my wedding day to the Artisan, I must get it out as that too has our family history attached. Thank you so much for sharing this story - its beautiful. J x

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

That is so lovely. Both the bracelet and the note to go with it. How wonderful to have something, which you love to wear, that is rich with family history.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh I can't decide which I like more - the bracelet or the note giving the story and welcoming you to the family. Both are definitely precious.

Karen said...

The bracelet is gorgeous, but the history and the story make it extra wonderful!

Ladkyis said...

How lovely to have something that you can wear as well as a delightful note giving you the provenance. What a wonderful father-in-law.
Thank you for sharing

scrappyjacky said...

Wonderful story,Becky...and how lovely to have the history of it as well.

dogmatix said...

What a wonderful precious. I love how you have the letter as well...the story and the handwriting makes it all the more special :-)

Abi said...

Wow what heritage and what a story to tell.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely family treasure and to have the note to go with it is absolutely super. So glad to hear you wear it.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

This is so cool, Becky. The bracelet is lovely, and it's even more special when pared with the hand written note from your father-in-law. Love the photos you used in this post too. Fantastic!

Sheena said...

I love the bracelet Becky but the note makes it even more precious x

Sabrina DS said...

Wow, I love astories of jewellery that go through the generations. So much history and tradition. You really feel like you are being welcomed into a family. Thanks for sharing. xoxo from France

Beverly said...

I love knowing the stories that go with pieces and understand why appraisers say being connected to the piece, knowing it's story makes it more valuable. With the recent loss of my mother in law I feel compelled to to make notes on these sorts of things. Thank you sharing this beautiful piece and story with us. I love the handwritten note.

Unknown said...

That is a lovely bracelet. Did you count it as the 'something old' on your wedding day?

Jo said...

I have enjoyed reading your story. It's a wonderful piece of jewellery with a beautiful history to go with it x

Cheri said...

Ditto what everyone else said! The bracelet is gorgeous, but the note really makes is special.

Alison said...

Love the bracelet, Becky...and the note makes it extra-precious!
Alison xx