Pages

Sunday 7 November 2010

Discovering Scrapbooking

Having had a camera since the age of 8, and being an organised person, all my photos are either in albums or in old fashioned sugar paper scrapbooks. Many have 'extras' in with them like receipts, postcards, other mementoes, so I think I have always had scrapbooking lurking in my veins.

So, how did I discover the hobby that has become so time and money consuming? And by that I mean scrapbooking, not blogging!



2006 was a big year for me. I turned 40, trained for and completed the Moonwalk and went on our last family holiday as the four of us (Ben now holidays with his friends!).



Of these occasions, the one which prompted me to start scrapbooking though was the Moonwalk. I had signed up with several friends from the Pre-School where I used to work and we trained regularly together, as well as going out for meals, having pamper evenings and getting together to decorate our bras.



I have always been a keen photographer, so of course I took photos of us doing all of this and of course loads of photos during the actual walk. After the Moonwalk I sat down with all my photos, looked at them, the scrapbook and papers which I had picked up on a whim from the Bookpeople delivery where I worked and wondered what to do with it all! I went down to Smiths and bought a copy of Scrapbook Inspirations, which I devoured from cover to cover. I noticed that there was a local shop, Sugar and Spice, so took a drive out to it and met Marion and Jane. With their help and advice I bought a few bits and pieces and completed my first page. I have never looked back! Now, four years later - is it only four years! - I have more stash than I know what to do with, 22 completed albums and tens of mini albums. I have also made many real life and cyber friends, which I find one of the nicest things of all with this hobby.


4 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great story! And I love the little clasped envelope embellie on the first page.
Rinda

Sian said...

I love to read about how people get into scrapbooking. It was finding a copy of SI on the shelves of the newsagents which got me started too.

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to hear how each person "falls" into scrapbooking. I started thinking about scrapbooking after picking up a copy of Simple Scrapbooks. I still miss that magazine!

Lizzie said...

This is a fab story, Becky! I love to hear how others got started with their scrapping.
Those bras were amazing!

By the way, if you drop by my blog, you'll find out something that might make you smile...