Pages

Saturday 27 January 2018

Spotlight Saturday - me and reading

I have always had a HUGE appetite for books. I love to read. I also love to listen to audiobooks. I have bought or borrowed stories on CD from the library in the past. I have thought of subscribing to Audible however I have found BorrowBox which is actually linked to my local library. It does however seem to be Australian based and a high proportion of the books available to listen to seem to be from Australian authors. Having said that, I have found plenty for me to download and listen to and the best thing is that it is free! I can download the story to my iphone and then listen either through my phone or through my car audio system.

So what have I listened to? Well, I have found that when I am driving to and from work I really enjoy listening to Young Adult fiction. Last year my favourite duology was Dreamhunter and Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox. These stories are set in 1906 in a world very similar to ours except for a special place where only a select group of people can go - they are called Dreamhunters. The story follows the family of Laura and Rose and their involvement in this place and how the government is using it to control the popluation. I really enjoyed this duology.

My favourite series was The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. This series is a 'sci-fi' retelling of old fairytales. The characters are based on Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel. They are extremely fun stories to listen to and this year I have also listened to two stand-alones based on the series.

I like to listen to all the stories at 1.5 speed. Penny can't understand how I can listen to it and get what the narrator is saying! I find it really easy and it means I get through the books faster!

I am currently listening to Midnight is a Lonely Place by Barbara Erskine. This is an adult historical fiction book I actually own but I am loving listening to it being read by Rula Lenska. I also like to listen when I am working out in the gym (I must go back, haven't been for ages!) and also when I am doing the cleaning and cooking.

I do also read paperbacks and books on my Kindle. I have a paperback on the go downstairs to read in the evenings or any other time I am at home downstairs, a paperback at work to read in my lunchtime and a book on my Kindle which I read before I go to sleep.

And THAT is how I manage to read so many books in a year! I know that some people would get the stories muddled reading like that, but I am not one of them! Let me know, do you like audiobooks? Do you have more than one book on the go at any one time?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Listening at 1.5 times the usual speed of speech - I didn't even know that was a doable thing! Our audio CDs in the car tend to led by The Boy Child ... Harry Potter, anyone?

Melissa said...

I always have several books going! 😀 We typically listen to audio books on road trips. I know I can check out audio books from our library & listen on my phone, but I haven’t tried that yet. I’ve been listening to podcasts while I walk, but maybe a good book would keep me walking longer.